Sunday, March 9, 2014

Monday's Favorite Flower Combinations #11

Here is an early spring combination that I can't wait for. Helleborus orientalis, commonly called Lenten rose and Bloodroot (native). This picture was taken in April of 2010 and I haven't been able to take a shot at this combination since then.

This combination grows under deciduous trees in what I call the "Woodland Garden" along with native ferns, snow drops, native trillium and many other shade loving plants. We started this bed with added garden soil that was amended with a lots of leaf compost in 2006.
Helleborus orientalis - white (zone 4-8)

Helleborus- pink started together with the white one from two tiny seedling my next door neighbor Pola gave me in 2004.

Bloodroot or Sanguinaria canadensis

Bloodroot is a  spring perennial native to Eastern North America.  Mine comes from the back woods of our own property. It is the only species in the genus Sanguinaria, included in the family Papaveraceae.
Plants start to bloom before the foliage unfolds in early spring and after blooming the leaves expand to their full size and go summer dormant in mid to late summer.
The flowers are produced from March to May, with  delicate white petals and yellow centers. 

2 comments:

  1. You look like you do a thorough job of getting rid of the old discolored hellebore leaves so that the flowers get to show off without distraction...all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to clean-up a bit before picture time! Even I arrange myself before I have my picture taken (:)

      Delete