Thursday, February 20, 2014

White in our garden -part 1



How delicate and tender! How sweet and sincere all the white blooms look! You just have to get close! Closer! Even closer! Ok! That is enough!

There are many kinds of white blooms in our garden. Some are as white as paper, some are greenish white and some are creamy white. Aren't these all beautiful?




The blooming of whites starts very very early! As early as February here in USDA Hardiness Zone 5b - Northeast Ohio. That is if the snow blanket is melting down for a short while and you get to see the flowers.

Snow Drops - true harbinger of spring- Galathus nivalis  blooms as early as February
Bloodroot or Sanguinaria canadensis (wildflower)-March


Lenten Rose or Helleborus hybridus "White Lady"- March to April

Rock cress or Arabis alpina - April to May

Darwin Tulip "Ivory Floradale" -April

Dutch Hyacinth or Hyacinthus orientalis -April 

Woodland Hyacinth, Spanish bluebell or Hyacinthoides hispanica -April

Cut-leaved toothwort (wildflower)  - April

Japanese Pachysandra  or Pachysandra terminalis  -April

Solomon Seal  or Polygonatum odoratum "Variegatum" -May

This beauty was a great find at Home Depot two years ago in the spring:
Shooting Star or Dodecatheon media (wildflower) - May


Large flowered trillium  or Trillium grandiflorum (wild flower) - May


Narcissus - April to May

Columbine or Aquilegia vulgaris - May to June

Japanese Iris - May

Double Medowsweet or Filipendula "Flora Plena" - May

Deutzia "Nikko" -May


 Giant Allium  or Allium stipitatum "Mount Everest"- May
 Allium unknown variety- May


Arenaria - May

Peonie or Paeonia "Festiva Maxima" May-June




I will wrap here the first part of White flowering plant portraits here and will continue on White blooms in the garden-part 2
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed these flower portraits since there are many more colors to come.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! I have just found some time to check out your blog and have now subscribed to it. You can NEVER have too many photos of flowers (and other things seen in the garden). Thank you! I know I'll be going to your previous blogs once I find more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome GrannieM and thank you stoping by! I am glad you like the flower portraits! 2013 was the first year that I made a point to document the peak bloom of most everything I grow. Now, I have to come-up with a way to make this photos useful for the readers.

      Delete
  2. Now this is the kind of white that doesn't make me feel cold. I should be used to it by now but I just can't get over the wondrous diversity of plant material in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michaele! My muse! You got this blog on fire in the past three days! Had over 100 new visitors and over 400 page views thanks to you sharing the address! Thank you!!!!

      Delete
  3. What a breath of fresh air on this cold, windy winter evening! A lot of these are favorites that I have in my garden, too. I love your presentation here, with great list of "all whites." Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Especially love the Trillium, Arabis, and Sanguinaria.

    ReplyDelete